For the 2015 edition this central topic will be “Patterns and processes in boundary marine ecosystems”
The Colloquium will be organized as follows:
– Masterly lessons of one hour during mornings (15 hours).
– Practical activities in the afternoon (6 hours); the student will be trained in image analysis applied to benthos ecology and remote sensing.
– Jordi Isern.- An Introduction to Ocean Remote Sensing – Practical lessons.
– Open discussions on cross-boundaries ecology topics (4 hours), lead by students.
– Posters discussion. Participants are encouraged to bring along a 3’ presentation together with a poster describing their research. One full afternoon will be dedicated to discuss the students’ research.
– Other activities. There will also be other activities, such as cultural activities within the city and a guided excursion to Natural Park of Medes Islands, in Costa Brava, including a boat trip and diving. (not included at the registration fee).
The program is as follows: (Final program)
– Welcome of Albert Palanques, Director of the Institute of Marine Sciences (ICM-CSIC).
– Welcome to the III Edition Ramon Margalef Summer Colloquia. Cèlia Marrasé.
– Students’ presentations.
– Andrea Gori and Josep-Maria Gili.- Conference title: “ Shelf-break communities: An integrated approach to marine boundary ecosystems“
– Susanne Neuer.- Conference title: “Ecological boundaries generated by coastal upwelling processes“.
– Ferdinando Boero.- Conference title: “The cells of ecosystem functioning in the Mediterranean Sea“
– Maurizio Ribera d’Alcalà.- Conference title: “The ecological and evolutionary impact of the quasi-ubiquitous boundary imposed by the vertical structure of the water column“.
– Estela Romero .- Conference title: “Sea and the City: spatio-temporal variability in coastal systems”
– Pablo Sangrà.- Conference title: “Ocean mesoscale eddies: frontal forcing and their impact on the marine ecosystem“.
– Gordon T. Taylor.- Conference title: “Microbial Ecology and Biogeochemistry across Pelagic Oxygen Boundaries“.
– Roger Urgeles.- Conference title: “The benthic boundary layer: feedback between geological and biological processes“.